Databases & Websites
ELM and SELCO ResourcesELM ("Electronic Library for Minnesota") databases are funded by the Minnesota Legislature. SELCO resources are available via our membership in SELCO, the regional public library system.
- Check out ELM and SELCO Resources.
- Or, you can search ELM resources listed by Category (Business, Consumer, Health, Hobbies, Newspapers, etc.)
More Web Resources Available to Buckham Memorial Library CardholdersWe have purchased additional resources for our patrons, funded locally by your tax dollars!
- TumbleBook(tm) Library e-books for-kids, TumbleBook Library is an online collection of animated talking, talking picture books which teach kids the joy of reading in a format they'll love.
- OverDrive e-Books and e-Audiobooks
You can browse the collection, check out with your library card, and download to PC, Mac®, and many mobile devices. To get started, you will need to install free software. For audiobooks, music, and video: OverDrive® Media Console™. To read eBooks, you’ll need Adobe® Digital Editions. Titles can be enjoyed immediately or transferred to a variety of devices, including Kindle®, iPod®, Sony® Reader™, and many others. Some audio titles can also be burned to CD to listen on-the-go. Titles will automatically expire at the end of the lending period. There are no late fees!
- Zinio: provides a quick and easy way to access and view full digital copies of popular magazines such as Consumer Reports, ESPN, Us Weekly, Reader's Digest, Weight Watchers, Seventeen, Guideposts, Rolling Stone, National Geographic, Motor Trend,Woman's Day, Men's Health, Popular Science, Martha Stewart Living,Bloomberg Businessweek, Food Network and much more! Magazines can be viewed from your home computer or Internet-enabled device. You will be able to view color pictures, print pages and enjoy interactive elements such as audio and video.
- The Dalby Database is a decades-long project of Faribault natives John and Jan Dalby. This database includes cemetary records from Rice County and other selected counties in southern Minnesota, indexing of history books, plats, newspaper articles, church records, marriages, birth, Civil War veterans, and city directories of Rice County. New data is entered and updated daily. Thanks to the work of the Owatonna Public Library, this database is now available via the Web.
- HeritageQuest Online includes Federal Census records; a collection of 25,000+ family and local history books; and a comprehensive subject index covering more than 6500 genealogy and local history periodicals. HeritageQuest offers remote access.
- Ancestry Library Edition includes 1.5 billion names in over 4,000 databases. You will find census, military, court, land, probate, birth, and death records; passenger lists; directories; and more. This database is available from terminals in the Library (remote access not available).
- LearningExpress Library is a collection of practice tests and course material for advanced placement, basic skills improvement, civil service exams, college entrance exams, GED, TOEFL, and U.S. Citizenship. Tests for specific fields are also available, including EMS, Firefighter, Law Enforcement, Military, Real Estate, and Teaching. Remote access is available: Create an account today to use from home or office (your username needs to be your 13-digit library card number).
Learn a new language with Mango Languages, free for Buckham Memorial Library patrons! Mango Languages offers a fast and convenient solution for our community's increasing language-learning needs. Mango offers are more than 40 foreign language courses available and 16 English as a Second Language (ESL) courses. Mango recommends using Firefox as an internet browser for their product. The link to Mango is http://libraries.mangolanguages.com/buckham-memorial/start