Alexander Faribault's Photo

Bishop Henry Whipple's story: 1867
Before the story
After the story
In his tracks

Alexander Faribault's story: 1855
Before the story
After the story
In his tracks


Mary Whipple's_story: 1862
Before the Story
After the Story
In her tracks


Taopi's story: 1864
Before the story
After the story
In his tracks


Printer Friendly Version
Henry Whipple
In His Tracks

Bishop Henry Whipple's tracks in Faribault are everywhere. Over time he was associated with three different houses in the town. There are also many buildings throughout the city reflecting the Episcopal development which he promoted with such zeal. The exploration of sites important to Henry Whipple adds to our understanding of his life and times.

Cathedral of Our Merciful Saviour
515 2nd Ave. NW


Henry Whipple took Faribault by storm after deciding to base his Episcopal outreach efforts in the city. Nine years after his arrival, an elaborate stone cathedral in the Gothic Revival style wad been constructed near the center of the town. The tower was added in his memory after his death through a gift by his second wife, Evangeline. A detailed tour of the Cathedral's interior is available on the Whipple Sunday website.

Site of St. Mary’s School and First Bishop Whipple Residence

Site of Bishop Henry Whipple Residence
610 2nd Ave. NW

Following its construction in 1872, Henry Whipple and his family occupied an architecturally impressive home across the street from the Cathedral. Photo courtesy of the Cathedral of Our Merciful Saviour.

Evangeline Whipple never occupied the home after Henry Whipple's death in 1901, and the home was torn down in 1934. Today, as shown in a photograph taken from about the same angle as the photo to the left, the site is occupied by the Parker Kohl Funeral Home.

The architecture of the second Whipple home combined the pointed gables of the Gothic style and decorative wood elements of the Stick style. The tower to the left housed a chapel built on the the side of the home. Photo courtesy of the Cathedral of Our Merciful Saviour.

Interior photographs identified as those of the Whipples' home show many details reflecting the era's Victorian style. Heavy doorway curtains, extensive artwork, and antimacassars (doilies) on chair backs are all visible in this photo of the interior stairwell and parlor. Photo courtesy of the Cathedral of Our Merciful Saviour.

 

Episcopal Rectory/Good Shepherd Deanery
112 6th Street NW

The lot at this location was purchased by Henry Whipple and his second wife, Evangeline, in the 1890s, and, although they had a home located across from the Cathedral, this home was built. The home was later donated to the Church of the Good Shepherd. The church later sold it due to the cost of upkeep. The home was designed by Faribault architect Olof Hanson, and today serves as multi-family housing.

Shattuck-St. Mary’s School

Evolving from the schools founded by early missionary James Lloyd Breck and expanded through the work of Bishop Henry Whipple, the Shattuck-St. Mary’s campus not only embodies the spirit of education that Whipple promoted, but also houses memorials to the Bishop and family members such as Whipple Hall.

If you would like to know more about Henry Whipple's life, read his story. You can also find more facts about Henry Whipple by reading biographical information Before the Story and After The Story.

Home | Alexander Faribault | Mary Whipple | Taopi | Bishop Henry Whipple |
A Closer Look | Land Treaties | Settling the Town | U.S. Dakota War
Audio Theatre | Monument Masters | About This Site
©2003 City of Faribault Heritage Preservation Commission | Information for Teachers