Limestone Building Traditions

Take a Tour
Shortcut to Limestone Building Traditions Feature Site.

Click on the thumbnails to enlarge photos.

  

Locate tour sites on the 1888 Faribault bird's-eye map.

Adam Weyer Wagon Shop
32 2nd Street NE

  Style: Vernacular Year built: 1874
 

This solid, locally-quarried limestone building is one of Faribault’s best-preserved stone industrial structures. Adam Weyer manufactured buggies, carriages, wagons and bob sleds here from 1874 to the early 1900s. From the mid 1880s to 1917, Weyer also ran a blacksmith shop in the building. These two horse-related businesses were conveniently located just a few door east of Leary’s Livery, and had direct access to the railroad by 1901.

Thomas and Rose McCall House
102 4th Avenue SW

  Style: Italianate Year built: ca. 1868
 

Prominent local stonemason Thomas McCall exhibited his craftsmanship through the construction of this formal limestone home. Thomas and his brother Cormack also served as stone masons for Faribault City Hall, the Episcopal Cathedral, and the Memorial Chapel and Shumway Hall on the Shattuck Campus. The home originally had a third story created by a mansard roof typical of the French Second Empire style. The roof was removed at the turn of the century by new owner and carpenter Francois Tetrault for unknown reasons.

Louis and Larose Carufel House
425 3rd Street SW

  Style: Gothic Revival Year built: 1877
 

Stone mason Charles O’Brien crafted this rare and striking Gothic Revival home for feed mill owner Louis Carufel. Following principles espoused by Andrew Jackson Downing, who promoted the style as ideal for gracious home life, the house was situated in a park-like setting on the edge of town. The home was later owned by other prominent Faribault businessmen, including W.E. Shaft, founder of the Shaft-Pierce Shoe Company, and his son, W. Stewart Shaft, who became president of the Nutting Caster Company.

Tetrault House
224 2nd Street NE

  Style: Vernacular Year built: 1872
 

Limestone walls two feet thick and wood roof shingles are features of this stone cottage. Originally the home sat on the road leading to the 2nd Street ferry landing. Reconstruction of the road and the addition of a footbridge at this site led to the home’s present location below street grade. The home’s construction has been attributed to Francois Tetrault, who later occupied the more elaborate limestone Thomas McCall house.

Thomas and Bridget Shanahan McMahon House
603 Division Street E

  Style: Vernacular Year built: 1871
 

Built of locally-quarried limestone, this is a well-preserved example of native stone houses built for Faribault’s early working class. Stonecutter and later quarry owner Thomas McMahon originally included a single story porch spanning the front of the house in his construction.

Cathedral of Our Merciful Savior
515 2nd Avenue NW
    FEATURE SITE
  Style: Gothic Revival Year built: 1869
 

Combining local stone and international expertise and significance, the first American Episcopal Church cathedral was a dream made reality by Bishop Henry Whipple. The Cathedral was designed by architect James Renwick, Jr., of New York and constructed of Trenton Blue limestone quarried at Falls Creek, east of Faribault. Edward Goodman, a master stonemason who immigrated from Norfolk, England, supervised the construction of the seven-year project. The bell tower was completed in 1902, funded by contributions from the U.S. and abroad, with a carillon donated by Evangeline Whipple in memory of her husband, who died in 1901. More...

Brandt House
317 2nd Street N

  Style: Queen Anne Year built: 1890
 

The use of limestone in this Queen Anne-style home, with a polygonal, two-story tower and a bay window, created a distinct appearance in Faribault. The Brandt family was of German descent and operated a brewery just south of the Buckham Memorial Library site. They also participated in maintaining German traditions in Faribault by founding a Turner’s Society, an ethnic exercise and social organization. The house was located across the street from the residence of fellow German and woolen mill founder Frank Klemer.

St. Mary’s Hall
305 5th Avenue NE/Shattuck Historic District

  Style: Gothic Revival Year built: 1926
 

St. Paul architect C.H. Johnston, Jr. designed this limestone building as the third St. Mary’s Hall. The Episcopal boarding school for girls was originally housed on Central Avenue in an extension to Bishop Henry Whipple’s first home. The Bishop’s wife, Cornelia Whipple, served as housemother. In order to accommodate an ever-growing number of students, the school relocated to the bluffs in 1883. This second structure was destroyed by fire. The current building’s style was selected to complement other buildings on the Shattuck campus.

Immaculate Conception Church
3rd Avenue SW and Division Street W

  Style: Classical Revival Year built: 1858/1902
 

This was the site of the first Catholic church in Faribault, constructed on land donated by Alexander Faribault. The church burned in 1857, and construction of a new structure from locally quarried limestone began in 1858. The church originally served German, French-Canadian and Irish immigrants. German stonemasons Joseph Berglehner and Joseph Bauer worked on the building, which was used as a local refuge during the Dakotah War of 1862. In June, 1901, the church was destroyed by fire (with the exception of the stone walls and the main altar). It was rebuilt immediately and reopened in March,1902. Adding an ecumenical touch, the wall around the property is of stone salvaged from the basement walls of Episcopal Bishop Whipple’s second home, razed in 1934.

Tate Hall
Olof Hanson Drive/State Academy for the Deaf

  Style: Classical Revival Year built: 1912
 

This structure serves as the administration building and girls’ dormitory. It was named for James S. Tate, who directed the school for 27 years. The impressive limestone building was designed by C.H. Johnston, Sr., of St. Paul.

 

   

Downtown District | Homes & Neighborhoods | Civic & School Life | Limestone Building Traditions

Home | Heritage Preservation | Kids Page | Timeline | Faribault Tourism | Index/Search | About this Site
©2002 City of Faribault, Minnesota | Faribault HPC