The three state school located in Faribault
by legislative mandate were often societys secrets
in an era when disabilities such as deafness, blindness and mental impairment
were misunderstood. Enlightened leadership at these schools had a significant
impact on hundreds of Minnesota citizens with disabilities. Faribaults
state school superintendents and staff were national leaders in the
development of programs which supported (and, in new forms, continue
to support) students in lifelong educational, social and occupational
The State School campuses were
characterized in part by impressive architecture.
Hall at the School for the Deaf
Mott Hall, named after Rodney Mott, a Faribault leader who helped
secure the School for the Deaf's placement in Faribault, was
built in 1866 and razed in 1926.
State School for the Blind
The School for the Blind building was built in 1874 and still stands
on the State Academy for the Blind campus.
State School for the Feeble Minded
The State School for the Feeble Minded was
constructed in 1881 and razed in 1957. The facility is now part of
the Faribault Regional Center.
Photo by Henry Altschwager, courtesy
of the Minnesota Historical Society.
A wide variety of occupational learning opportunities
was available to State School students. In these undated photos, men
at the State School for the Feebleminded are dressed for dairying in
milking suits (above). Below, students at the State School for the Blind
learn rug weaving.